Vegetable Sagu / Kurma
Vegetable Kurma / Sagu is a rich and delicious recipe. It is one of our family favorite dish. We have it at least once a week. I prepare it when we have guests at home. Vegetable kurma or Sagu and Poori is a favorite combo of our household. It’s best to hide all the vegetables especially for fussy kids in an aromatic gravy. This sagu is very easy to make and tastes very similar to restaurant style Sagu / Kurma .
Vegetable Kurma / Sagu is a popular karnataka special side-dish recipe where vegetables are cooked in an aromatic masala gravy of coconut, cashews, coriander, green chillies and a few spices. It is healthy, nutritious and very delicious. It is easy to make too. This recipe has different kinds of vegetables and is full of flavours. It is a very versatile dish which can be served with Chapathis, pooris, set dose, Mangalore buns, rice rasam or even curd rice. My favourite combo is Poori- sagu. I can have it as breakfast for the rest of my life!
- Pressure Cooker
- Mixer/ Grinder
- ¼ cup carrots roughly chopped into cubes
- ½ cup green peas
- ¼ cup potatoes roughly chopped into cubes
- ¼ cup capsicum roughly chopped into ½ inch pieces
- ¼ cup beans roughly chopped into ½ inch pieces
- ¼ cup bottle gourd roughly chopped into cubes
For the masala
- 3 numbers green chillies
- ½ cup freshly grated coconut
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 3 numbers cloves
- 2 numbers tomatoes roughly chopped
- 6 numbers cashews
- 1 inch ginger
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves
For the tempering
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida /hing
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Pressure cook all the vegetables by adding 2 cups of water for only one whistle.
- Meanwhile, prepare the masala paste by adding coriander seeds, cloves,stick,cloves,coriander leaves,grated coconut,ginger tomatoes,cardamom and cashews into a blender and blend it into a fine paste.
- In a pan, add oil. Once the oil is slightly hot, add mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- Add in the masala paste and cook it on a low flame.
- Drain the excess water from the vegetables and keep it aside.
- To the masala paste, add red chilli powder and turmeric and cook it for a minute.
- Add all the vegetables to the gravy and add the drained water from the vegetables to the gravy according to your desired consistency.
- Add in salt to taste and cook it on a low flame for 5-7 minutes.
- Vegetable Kurma is ready to be served with Chapathi/Rice/pooris.
- Don’t over cook the vegetables. Cook them only for a whistle. Otherwise , the vegetables will be mushy.
- If you are using frozen peas, don’t add them in the pressure cooker. Add them directly while cooking.
- You can add any vegetables that you like. Generally, carrots, beans, cauliflowers, beans, potatoes and green peas are added.
- You can also add poppy seeds while making the masala paste.
Do let me know how you like this Sagu if you try it at home. I would love to hear your feedback! To check out my other side dish recipes, click here . Check out my instagram- http://www.instagram.com/dharwadgirlcooks